Food Hazards News & Resources
Journal-Sentinel: Illness Linked to Crave Brothers Soft Cheese Caused by Unsanitary Conditions, CDC ReportsAn illness outbreak from a Wisconsin cheesemaker that was linked to one death and a miscarriage likely was caused by substantial sanitation deficiencies in the cheese-making process, a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says.
Dana Dziadul has been fighting since she was 3 years old, but don’t bother telling her mother. First, Dana, now 16, was fighting for her life after getting debilitatingly ill from bad cantaloupe she ate when she was 3. Now, she’s fighting to ensure that other children don’t suffer the same fate that befell her – or a worse one.More info
Victims of foodborne illness from 10 states are visiting Capitol Hill the week of January 27, asking their members of Congress to support the full funding and implementation of the FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA). The advocates include children and adults who were sickened by foods they ate as well as sons and daughters who lost beloved parents to infections caused by contaminated products.More info
The Pew Charitable Trusts commends Representative Tom Latham (R-IA) for his leadership in securing approximately $27 million for food safety in the House appropriations bill funding the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, or FDA. The new money would help the FDA protect millions of Americans from the dangers of foodborne illnesses and strengthen consumer confidence in the food supply.More info
A multistate outbreak of Salmonella Heidelberg infections linked to ground turkey in 2011 sickened 136 people, causing 37 hospitalizations and one death. The Pew Charitable Trusts' analysis of the outbreak found numerous inadequacies in the foodborne illness surveillance system that, if addressed, could help to prevent illnesses and, in some cases, deaths.More info
A federal grand jury indicted four former employees of a peanut company linked to a 2009 salmonella outbreak that killed nine people and sickened hundreds, leading to one of the largest recalls in history.More info